The server that host the Web SMIS database has changed.
Clicking the link "Enter SMIS" will take you to the new server.
The Kentucky Surface Mining Information System (SMIS) is an extensive computer database that is used for tracking all permitting and enforcement actions on coal mining activity in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Examples of information contained in SMIS include:
- status of pending and issued permit applications;
- general background information on permitted coal mining operations;
- inspection background and frequency;
- status of mining activity;
- past or pending violation problems; and,
- performance bond information.
Follow the steps below to access the SMIS through the Internet:
- The SMIS database requires the latest version of Java. Please refer to the SMIS Tutorial for directions on how to download and setup Web SMIS on your computer.
- To view detailed step-by-step directions on how to download and install this version, please refer to our support site.
- Set your desktop or screen area to 1024 by 768 pixels. For details follow the directions found in Monitor Settings.
- If accessing SMIS from behind a firewall, contact Van Graham at 502-564-2320 or by e-mail at Van.Graham@ky.gov for special settings.
Click the link below to begin using the SMIS Internet application. If you receive a security error regarding the application's digital signature, click run.
Please Note !!!
Our SMIS database is refreshed nightly from 1-2:30 a.m. EST.
SMIS will be unavailable during this process.